by Jillian Cowles
2018, 328 pages, color photographs. Amazing Arachnids is a richly illustrated and up-close look at the lives of spiders and other arachnids. It features an engaging text, and color photos of over 300 types of arachnids from eleven taxonomic orders. The American Southwest is home to all but one arachnid order, providing the opportunity to document the natural history of arachnids in general. This book covers all aspects of arachnid biology, including anatomy, sociality, mimicry, camouflage, venoms and more. You will meet bolas spiders that lure their victims with fake moth pheromones, fishing spiders that woo their mates with silk-wrapped gifts, chivalrous cellar spiders, tiny mites, and massive tarantulas, as well as many others. Along the way, you will learn why arachnids are living fossils in some respects and nimble opportunists in others, and how natural selection has perfected their sensory structures, defense mechanisms, reproductive strategies, and hunting methods.
- Covers more than 300 different kinds of arachnids, including ones new to science
- Features more than 750 stunning color photos
- Describes all aspects of arachnid biology, from physiology to biogeography
- Illustrates courtship and mating, birth, maternal care, hunting, and defense
- Includes never-before-seen images of the underground lives of schizomids and vinegaroons
- Provides the first organized guide to macroscopic mites, including photos of living mites for easy reference
Paperback; 4-1/2 x 7-1/4″. Jillian Cowles is a clinical microbiologist, naturalist, and photographer. Her photographs have appeared in numerous books and publications, including The Bees in Your Backyard #3911, Bugs Rule! #3360, museum displays, art exhibits, and murals.
Have a question?
You must be logged in to post a question.