Drawer kits equivalent to the California Academy 1010 series or the Cornell University 1012 series are a popular solution for housing insect collections at low cost.
Six-drawer kits include all components needed to assemble drawers, except for glass. They are offered with hardboard bottoms for use with unit trays or foam pinning bottoms. Polyethylene and plastazote foam for superior pinning surfaces, and additional hardware, described below, provide a variety of options for these kits. #1027GA or #1027GB adhesives are recommended for installing, not included in kits.
Drawer sides are milled from one length of pine molding split with a special cutter to permit matching top and bottom sections. With average mechanical ability, drawers can be assembled easily by following the instruction sheet provided with each kit.
- Kiln-dried pine frames cut to size and mitered
- 1/8″ hardboard bottom, cut to size,
- Nails, splines, glue, sandpaper
- Brass-plated cardholder pulls and screws
- Framing clamp and instruction sheet
- Single strength window glass, 3/32″ (2.5mm) thickness
- Cut to 16 x 18″ (406 x 457 mm) for 1010BM kits
- Cut to 15-1/2 x 18″ (394 x 457 mm) for 1012BM kits
- 1010BM and 1012BM: 21 lb.
Note: For the convenience of customers in Southern California, glass sheets precut to size may be ordered and picked up at the BioQuip facility in Rancho Dominguez.
Kit of six drawers, complete except for glass: